In a recent news report, LA Times has confirmed that the said wrongful death trial was officially opened last Monday. Opening statements were reportedly made by the lawyers.
The “King of Pop” died on June 25, 2009 in Los Angeles, California due to the powerful surgical anesthetic, Propofol, which Dr. Conrad Murray, administered on him to help him sleep in preparation for his comeback concert, “This Is It”. Jackson’s family claimed that AEG is liable for hiring and supervising Murray to care for the pop icon while he rehearsed for a series of shows. In 2011, Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.
Consequently, in the said lawsuit, Jackson’s mother, Katherine, along with his three children, is accusing MJ’s concert promoter, AEG Live, for being liable for his death.
On the other hand, AEG Live denied the allegations of negligence in hiring and supervising Murray. Also, the concert promotion further affirmed that it could have not foreseen that Murray posed a danger to Jackson. Additionally, Murray likewise claimed that Jackson had already been suffering from prescription drug and addiction problems years before entering into any agreement regarding the “This Is It” comeback concert.
The family is seeking for about $40 billion in damages including lost wages. However, the final amount is still be determined by the jury should it find that AEG was indeed liable for the negligence and the subsequent death of Michael Jackson.
Last week, a jury of six men and six women has been chosen to decide on the lawsuit. However, another jury of six members has already been selected for future hearings to serve as alternates in the trial that is expected to last for two to three months.
Also, in the previous weeks, several major progresses took place in the lawsuit after news about the “smoking gun email” surfaced. Following the solid evidence presented, Jackson’s eldest son, Prince, also expressed his conformity to take the witness stand in the trial in an effort to achieve due justice for his father’s untimely death.
Meanwhile, a Los Angeles wrongful death lawyer, who has since been monitoring this big trial, is somehow feeling glad for the King of Pop’s children upon knowing that the case is finally underway and a verdict is likely to take place soon.