Thursday, November 29, 2007

Maintaining Indoor Air Quality

The article I read, “Lead Paint and Your Children”, posted November 12, which is all about the quality of paint used in building and home construction brings to our attention the dangers of using lead-based paint. The article discussed the hazard of children’s exposure to lead.
The article cited the study conducted by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which revealed that lead-based paints contain the potent neurotoxin, which has negative effects on the brain, kidneys, and the nervous system. Lead exposure in children can cause delays in physical development, lower IQ levels, shorten attention span and increase behavioral problems.
However, the study also reported that since the banning of lead-based paints in 1978, the percentage of exposed children dropped drastically from 88 per cent to 1.8 percent in 2005.
The article cautioned homebuilders against using materials that might contain toxic materials, which could put the inhabitants in danger.
Here are steps that could help reduce exposure to lead:
  • Keep play areas free of dust and dirt
  • Leave lead-based paint areas of the house undisturbed
  • Do not peel off paint
  • Use doormats before entering the house
  • Have old water pipes checked for lead content
  • Eat food rich in iron and calcium
Nonetheless, no amount of warning can stopped dishonest home builders from using materials with toxic content. A more stringent federal law must be passed to ensure that our homes are free from contamination of hazardous elements. Perhaps we can start with the strict implementation of the construction liability laws.